Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 8

Two little joys to write about today, both having to do with the same thing.

Joy #1: I cut my husband's hair for the first time unsupervised last night and I did not destroy his head. This is a good thing. In fact, not only did I not destroy his head, he was actually very pleased with the results. Ca-ching! Gold star for me. (In case you are unfamiliar with my gold star award system, I award myself gold stars whenever I feel like I deserve them. This is due to the fact that there is a complete dearth of other people giving me gold stars. Egotistical? Perhaps.)

Joy #2: I received my own semi-annual haircut this afternoon. I don't pamper myself very often, but twice a year I get my hair cut, and I love it. I go to a beauty college near where I live, and for ten dollars they wash your hair (which includes a head massage), cut it, and style it. You can't get a better deal than that. Although on the whole I'm not a touchy/feely person, I love it when people play with my hair. Of course, there are certain societal rules about this, and I'm sure that if my best friend walked in the room and started running her fingers through my hair that I would be little freaked out and wouldn't enjoy it. However, getting a haircut is one of those times when it's perfectly okay for someone to run their fingers through my hair, so I soak it up. Another reason I like it so much is because for two days out of the year, my hair looks like I want it to for the other 363 days.

I know these are small things, but that's really the point of this blog. Of course there's joy when someone gets married or has a baby, but I want to experience joy every day, not just on the momentous days. I hope that as you read this blog, you start to look for little joys in your own life and find them. If something brings you joy, don't feel the need to justify it or explain in away. Simply enjoy it, and be thankful.

1 comment:

  1. I would like it to be duly noted that I have given you a dearth of Gold Stars. (and in full discloser I have received a dearth from you as well)
    It tis an excellent system. In fact.

    *GOLD STAR* for inventing the system. =D

    ReplyDelete