Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Day 19

I don't know if you have noticed it or not, but it has been nineteen days and I have yet to write about the thing that brings me the second greatest joy in my life apart from the gospel and being a Christian. Why have I not written about it? Well, it's complicated. I'm not sure how to do it in a way that is edifying to my faithful readers. For you see, the thing that brings me the second greatest joy in life is being married to my wonderful husband.

I could go on and on about why I love my husband and how he brings me so much joy. However, if I did that, who would I be encouraging? I know the feeling of someone who is single and wishes to be married, and I don't want to make it ache any more than it already does. God's timing is not our timing, and sometimes God's timing has a lot of loneliness in it. On the other side, I don't want to create discontentment by having married people start comparing their spouses with my spouse. So really, a discussion on that topic would not edify many people, except maybe my husband and me.

So let me go another route. One of the greatest factors needed for joy, no matter whether you are married, engaged, or single, is contentment. If you are single and discontent, marriage is not going to make you joyful, at least not for long. Joy comes from a heart that is content, no matter the circumstances, no matter the relationship status. I can be in the perfect marriage, but if my heart longs for a bigger apartment or a better job or more friends, that perfect marriage cannot compensate for the discontentment in my heart. On the flip side, joy can spring from the tiniest apartment in the worst part of town when ends are barely being met. It's not the circumstances and it will never be the circumstances that will bring you joy. Circumstances might make you happy for a while, but happiness is a fragile blossom while joy is a deep root.

To end, let me quote the apostle Paul. In Philippians 4:11-13 he says, "For I have learned in whatever state I am, to be content: I know how to be live humbly and how to live in prosperity. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me."

I pray that you find joy in your contentment.

No comments:

Post a Comment