Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Day 11

I said at the very beginning that in order to understand true joy, you have to understand true suffering. I don't think anyone knew this better than the apostle Paul. At the very beginning of his ministry, right after his conversion on the road to Damascus, God sends Ananias to Paul with these words: "Go, for he is a chosen vessel of Mine to bear My name before Gentiles, kings, and the children of Israel. For I will show him how many things he must suffer for My name's sake." And Paul did suffer for Christ, very much. In 2 Corinthians 11 Paul writes a list of everything that he has endured for the cause of Christ: flogged with thirty-nine lashes five times, beaten with rods three times, ship-wrecked three times, stoned, put in prison, and the list goes on. Paul lived almost every day with the threat of bodily harm, and many times it was more than just a threat. And yet in the next chapter of 2 Corinthians, Paul writes these words:

"And lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations, a thorn in the flesh was given to me, a messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I be exalted above measure. Concerning this thing I pleaded with the Lord three times that it might depart from me. And He said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ mas rest upon me. Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong." 2 Corinthians 12:7-10

Paul learned not only to enduring suffering, he learned how to find joy in it. He learned that when his own strength failed it was an opportunity for Christ's strength to shine through and bring glory to God, and he rejoiced in that. What a testimony to the rest of us.

I love that passage from 2 Corinthians 12. It reminds me that God works in the midst of suffering. And although I don't suffer like Paul did, there are times when I have suffered because of painful circumstances in my life. Whenever that happens, I go back to that passage and pray that I may say with the apostle Paul, "Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in needs, in persecutions, in distresses, for Christ's sake. For when I am weak, then I am strong."

May God grant that it may be so.

No comments:

Post a Comment