Saturday, October 15, 2011

Day 12

Okay, okay. I know I've missed two days in a row. And that's bad. BUT, I have an excuse. On Thursday I received very, very exciting news that filled my heart with joy. However, that news was not public knowledge at the time. SOOO, as much as I wanted to share it, I couldn't, and nothing else seemed worth writing about in light of the BIG news. So that's why I haven't written in two days. The other reason is that I've been extremely busy and really haven't had the time to write even if I wanted to.

So are you ready for the big news?

MY BROTHER STARTED DATING A VERY SPECIAL YOUNG LADY THIS WEEK!!!

He has never been in a relationship before so this is a very exciting milestone in his life. And my life. The gal in question is very sweet and I am so happy for both of them.

When I heard the news, I started thinking about what I call "residual joy." It's something that causes someone close to you great joy, and because of that you feel joy as well. I think that that is a great gift from God: the ability to feel joy and happiness because of someone else's joy. I could be having the worst day possible, but if I hear good news about someone else, that fills me with joy in spite of my own circumstances. I remember hearing the news of my friends' engagement while my relationship with my boyfriend was going through a very difficult period. These friends and us had started dating around the same time and it was very easy to think that if circumstances were different, it could have been us getting engaged. I could honestly say, though, that I was very happy and very excited for them, and that in a way my own sadness and pain couldn't diminish the joy I felt for them. That's what I love I about joy: it doesn't depend on circumstances, it depends on the condition of your heart.

One of the goals for this blog is to separate the "good things are happening to me therefore I'm joyful" joy with the deeper joy that comes from being loved with the steadfast love of Christ and which doesn't depend on circumstances. Don't get me wrong, we should be joyful when God blesses us in life, which He does abundantly. But we also need to be joyful when life is hard. When you can do that, you have discovered the beginning of true joy.

May your joy be full.

2 comments: