Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Day 80

On our drive to and from California I experienced something new in interstate driving.  Never before have I driven so far and have seen so few other cars on the road.  While we were driving during the day there was the normal amount of traffic, but once the sun went down the highways both going and coming got deserted.  During one hour-long stretch I saw one other vehicle on our side of the highway.  It was a strange sensation to say the least.  

During most of the trip my husband and I listened to books on tape, but there was one part of the trip where the section had ended and I didn't switch to the next one, and my husband was asleep, and all around me was vast, empty, dark space.   Every once in a while I would see the outline of a bluff or hill, but mostly it was just darkness.   Silence and darkness, the two things that most awake people try to avoid if possible.  But I kind of liked it.  It gave me time to think and pray without distraction.  I find that it is so much easier to hear God when He is not drowned out by the over-stimulation which embodies American culture.  Even if I set aside a time to be with Him and be quiet, in the back of my mind there is usually lurking the next thing that needs to get done.   But when I was driving on that deserted stretch of I-70 there was nothing distracting me, nothing else that I could be doing.  It was an ideal situation to listen to God, and listen I did. The time was sweet, if too short.  Unfortunately, the pressing need to fill up the gas tank at the only station for the next 100 miles ended our conversation.  I hope to continue it soon.

May you find joy in listening to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment