Sunday, February 26, 2012

Day 74

I know that worship is about God and not about us.  I know that we should pick worship songs based on what God likes and not on what we like.  I know that if we worship simply to get an emotional high that we've missed the point.   I know that we are the creatures and God is the creator and we worship Him because it is what He deserves, and because it is one way we show our love and gratefulness to Him.

I know all that.

I also know that I love the song, "Here in Your Presence".

That song moves me whenever I hear it.  Heaven is closer when I sing it, and I just want to keep on singing it forever. If you don't know the song, here are the lyrics:


Found in Your hands, fullness of joy
Every fear suddenly wiped away
Here in Your presence
All of my gains now fade away
Every crown no longer on display,
Here in Your presence
Heaven is trembling in awe of Your wonders
The kings and their kingdom are standing amazed

Chorus:
Here in Your presence, we are undone
Here in Your presence, Heaven and Earth become one
Here in Your presence, all things are new
Here in Your presence, everything bows before You

Bridge:
Wonderful, beautiful, glorious, matchless in every way
Wonderful, beautiful, glorious, matchless in every way


Worship should not move us merely to an empty emotional state, but worship should move us.  If we could see God sitting before us as our audience when we worship we would be moved.  God is our audience when we worship, only we cannot see Him, and that is hard for deeply visual people like ourselves.  Jesus rebuked Thomas for believing only after he saw with his eyes; will we be rebuked for not believing because we haven't seen? "Here in Your Presence" helps me bridge the gap.  I think that is why I like it so much.  It reminds me that I am in the presence of God and that He is right here right now.  I am not singing to the ceiling or to the wall--I am singing to God himself.   And I love that.  In His presence my gains do fade away and my crowns aren't on display.  He wipes away my fears and I truly find fullness of joy.  I am undone.

May you find the fullness of joy in the presence of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment