Thursday, February 2, 2012

Day 63

Have you heard that you need to preach the gospel to yourself daily? I have, but I haven't been that intentional about doing it.  Usually it just comes up when I am thinking about something else, or listening to worship music.  But when I was driving to work this morning, I knew that I desperately needed to be reminded of the gospel. I needed to remind myself of the truth that I am sinner, a great, desperate sinner, and that the Son of God, Jesus Christ, came down to earth and lived a perfect, sinless life.  He died on a cross for my sin, a cross that I should have died on instead.  He rose again to life after three days, and then ascended into heaven where He is reigning at the right hand of God. I needed to be reminded of that, because I realize that all too often I forget, and then bad things happen.

Without being reminded of the grace of the gospel, I become prideful.

Without being reminded of the mercy of the gospel, I become judgemental.

Without being reminded of the sacrifice of the gospel, I become selfish.

Without being reminded of the sufficiency of the gospel, I become stuck in my sin.

Without being reminded of the love of the gospel, I become rebellious.

Without being reminded of the hope of the gospel, I become depressed.

The list could go on, but you get the picture. Your list might be the same, or it might be different.  One thing I have learned is this: we should never be surprised by how quickly we can fall away.  We are not as strong as we think we are, which is why we need to hear the gospel every day.  My prayer is that you will not have to learn that the hard way.

May you find joy in the gospel.

No comments:

Post a Comment