Friday, February 3, 2012

Day 64

The day I met "T" I was at one of the lowest points of my life.  Actually, I wouldn't have met him otherwise.  If I had been fine I would have been in Sunday School, but as it was I couldn't handle Sunday School, so I just sat in the foyer with the intention of reading my Bible.  That's when I met T.  He was sitting at the table opposite me, and I felt the Holy Spirit prompting me to talk to him.  I fought the prompting but eventually obeyed when T asked me a question and started the conversation going.  The reason I initially fought it was because I had never met, let along talked to, a transgender before, and I wasn't sure if the person sitting across from me was a man or a woman.  I can probably say that it was the most awkward conversation of my life, but one that has had a lasting impact on me.  That conversation forged a relationship with T that has continued to this day. 

The day that T got baptized was one of the most joyful days of my life.  I still get goosebumps thinking about it.  During his testimony, T mentioned me and that the conversation I had with him that first day was one of the reasons he kept coming to church.   You don't know how humbled I was and still am by those words.  God used me at a time when I felt so low that I didn't think I could be used.  When I think back to that morning, I am reminded that when we are weak Christ is strong, and He is the one who deserves the glory.  If T hadn't asked me that first question, I would have continued to fight the Holy Spirit and I would have missed out on not only the privilege of knowing T, but also the lessons that God wanted to teach me. I would have really missed out.

I had the privilege and joy of going out to coffee with T today and we ended up sitting in Starbucks for three hours. I am still humbled that God continues to use me.  T still struggles with things, some very serious things, and so many times I don't know what to say to help him.  I can listen, though, and so that is what I do.   I have learned that so many times people don't want you to fix their problems, they just want you to be there for them. 

When you think of it, pray for T.  He still has a long journey ahead of him.  Please pray for me as well, that God would show me how to be the friend that T needs.  

And may you never resist the Spirit's promptings, because you never know what you might be missing.

May you find joy in following the Spirit.

No comments:

Post a Comment