Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Day 61

I've probably mentioned this before, but I really love serving.  I love doing things for people, helping them out, lending a hand.  My instinct when I hear of a need is to volunteer to fill it, which has sometimes gotten me into trouble when I've over-committed myself and worn myself down.  But, on the other hand, can you really think of a better way to wear yourself down than by helping too many people?  My favorite place to serve is at church and at church-related activities.  These people are my family, and every one of us is called to fulfill our role in the Body of Christ.

As much as I love to serve, I made myself cut back during the months leading up to and following my marriage to my husband. I knew that we would need some time to adjust to married life and in figuring out our roles as husband and wife.  Yes, I still helped out various people and at various events, but not as much as I had previously.  And then in the fall our church's college and career group started a once-a-month ministry night where we brought in leaders of ministries in our church and they talked about their ministry and ways to get involved. During one of these nights, the lady in charge of greeters and the welcome center personnel mentioned that there was a need for more people in these ministries.  It seemed like a great way to jump back into ministry, and I figured I had enough skill to open the door for someone and greet them on a Sunday morning, so I volunteered to be a greeter.  Somewhere the communication got crossed, because when I showed up on my first Sunday I was actually assigned to the welcome center and not to be a greeter.  No problem, I was happy to fill in wherever needed. 

I was looking forward to be a greeter/welcome center attendant because I wanted to meet all of the new people that I haven't gotten to meet before. I was also looking forward to it because I just love serving in general.  What I wasn't expecting, however, was how much I would enjoy it.  I love working at the welcome center! Yes, I have gotten to meet a lot of people that I haven't met before, and yes, I think that I have been able to assist visitors once in a while.  But what I love the most are the great conversations I have been able to have with people.  The welcome center is unique because it allows you to talk to people without being drawn into a group and then getting stuck in that group.  I've also had some good longer conversations with people in the foyer after Sunday School and the church service have started.  It's been great.

I share this story because I want to encourage you to step out of your comfort zone and try something new.  I was happy to fill a need but I was surprised by how much I was blessed by it.  Isn't that the way serving usually is?  You would think that I would know that by now, but it still amazes me when it happens.

May you find joy in serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment