Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Day 42

Yesterday I wrote about my insane month of December. But December is over, and a new year has started.

Yesterday I woke up at 10:30 in the morning.  It felt so good to get a full eight hours of sleep plus a little extra. I didn't have to work.  We didn't have dinner plans or evening plans.  I didn't have to make food to take somewhere to buy something on the way there.  We didn't have people coming over to the house. There were no presents to wrap or people to call or emails to write.

Yesterday was a blank slate.

I had time to finish putting the Christmas decorations away and wash the dishes from New Year's eve. I had time to re-arrange the decorations in our dining room and living room after several months of seasonal decor.  I had time to organize my closet and make our bed. I had time to clean the kitchen and de-clutter the corners and counters that had collected various items over the last couple of weeks. I went to a store and another store and another store and stocked up on food for the month. I cooked down a turkey carcass and made some delicious turkey soup throughout the course of the day. I even had time to read my new book and work-out.  It was so wonderful.

Yesterday was a day full of little joys. Nothing exciting happened, but that's what made it special.  I was happy to just have a day to do all of the things I have been needing to do  for days and days. I hope I never take the ordinary for granted; sometimes it is the greatest of blessings.

And so is a clean house : )

No comments:

Post a Comment