Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Day 53

Friends have the ability to bring much joy but also much sadness into our lives.  There is the joy from sharing life together, having a support system, a smile, a hug, a laugh.  There is sadness when the relationship is strained, feelings get hurt, or distance separates you and you don't know when you will see them again.  This morning I had a lovely get-together with one of my oldest friends.  Our relationship has changed over the years; some periods of it we only saw each other a couple times a year, and other times we saw each other several times a week.  But no matter how much we see each other, or talk to each other, or text each other, I know that she is my friend.  There is a great comfort in that.  The truth is that people change and circumstances change, and sometimes even people change, so by necessity friendships change as well.  It doesn't mean that you don't love them as much, it just means that things have changed.  I have a good friend that I haven't seen in two years.  I miss her so much. But I know that when I do see her again, we will still be friends and be able to jump in right where we left off.  Knowing that brings me joy to help ease the sadness. 

On the other end of the scale, sometimes friendships end because of misunderstandings, miscommunications, and hurt feelings between friends.  When this happens it is always painful, and sadly sometimes things do not or cannot get resolved in spite of our best intentions.  As Christians, though, our reconciliation is in Christ, and when we get to Heaven there will be no strained relationships or hurt feelings.  That brings me comfort.

Take a minute today and either write quick note or text to a friend you haven't seen in a while, or try to heal a strain between you and friend.  It's worth the effort.

My you have joy in your friendships.

No comments:

Post a Comment