Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Day 37

"Family traditions counter alienation and confusion. They help us define who we are; they provide something steady, reliable and safe in a confusing world."
-Suan Lieberman

I came from a very structured family that was full of traditions.  Very nearly everything my family does at Christmastime is a tradition, from the music played when picking out the Christmas tree to who puts up what ornament.  Some might consider this restrictive or unimaginative, but I loved my family's traditions.  They were something to look forward to; they were something that anchored and grounded us a family.  Now that I am married, my husband and I have the opportunity to create our own traditions. I look forward to this. 

I believe that traditions are very important, especially for children. Like the quote says, traditions not only define us but also provide reliability and safety in an unreliable and unsafe world.  Next week we don't know if gas prices are going to sky-rocket or bottom out.  Someone we know might get sick; someone we know might get better.  Terrorist could attack us, a gunman could show up at our church, or God could take someone home.  This life is fraught with uncertainty.  But even though I don't know what next week or even tomorrow will bring, I know that when my family goes to pick out a Christmas tree, they are going to listen to "I Still Believe." I know that Dad is going to hang the stockings with two on one side of the fireplace and three on the other.  Mom will decorate the mantle; my sister the dining room. And it's probably going to look like it has for many, many years. But that's okay, because that means my parent's house is still the safe, reliable home that I know and love.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment