Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Day 27

As promised, here is a picture of the completed (or nearly completed) Christmas stockings. All I have left to do is figure out how I want to add our names to the cuffs and add hanger loops.


Awww, aren't they nice? : )


Overall, I really enjoy sewing. However, I would not consider myself a very talented sew-er. Yes, the finished products look nice, but I don't know if I've made something that didn't require me to rip out stitches and re-sew. The plus side is that I am really talented at ripping out stitches. These stockings were no exception. Yesterday afternoon I had to re-sew the cuff on my stocking three times. Most people would probably learn from their mistake the first time, but not me! It was a good lesson in patience and perseverance. Even that couldn't diminish much of my joy at the finished product. The harder you have to work at something, the more you appreciate it. I saw a picture of some stockings I liked, but from then on I designed everything myself, and made plenty of mistakes in the process. It's kind of like an analogy of life: You have your goal in mind, you make plans to reach that goal. Sometimes the going is rough and sometimes it is easy. Sometimes your plans work and sometimes you have to back-track and try something else. Sometimes by the time you reach your goal it doesn't look like what you had in mind, but that's okay because you made it. (Maybe I'm stretching this analogy too far, but I felt like this post needed more substance than just me ripping out stitches. Take it or leave it.)


I thought this post was going to be about why I enjoy creating things, but posts sometimes take on a mind of their own. Kind of like getting to the goal in the life analogy : ) Just kidding; enough analogies for today. I guess I will save that for another day.


P.S. If it would bring you joy to tell me how nice my stockings are, it would bring me joy as well :)

4 comments:

  1. Wow!! Those stockings are AMAZING!!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're great! How fun to have homemade stockings. I might have to get some lessons from you :)

    ReplyDelete