Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Day 34

I am just going to say it: I just made the most beautiful apple pie I have ever made, and possibly ever seen. Although pictures don't do it justice, here it is:
And an artsy shot for my fellow artists:

Ta-Da!
This is a big moment in my life. I always dream of making beautiful pies, and I always attempt them whenever the need for pie comes up, but something always seems to go wrong. Pie crust and me are not friends.  My mom can make pie crusts like a ninja: the perfect consistency, not too wet and not too dry, rolling them out beautifully without sticking to the counter or rolling pin, and then scooping them up and draping them in the pie pan like it’s the easiest thing in the world.  It’s not.  If you have ever made home-made pie crusts you know that there is a bit of trick to them.  Now, I’ve watched my mom make pie crusts for years, and I have made pie crusts under her tutelage, but as soon as I start adding water my crust usually starts fighting back. It gets worse once I start rolling it out, and by the time it’s in the pan it usually has the appearance of a patchwork quilt.  My crusts rip, and tear, and stick, and crumble, and I never seem to have enough dough no matter how much flour and shortening I start out with. 
But not today.  Today I used  a pie crust recipe that I have only used once before, and like the first time, it held together and worked like a champ.  The filling didn’t bubble out, the lattices didn’t tear, and the crust turned a lovely golden brown without getting too dark.  I’m pretty excited about the filling too. It’s too bad that I don’t actually like apple pie, but I am sure someone else in my family will enjoy it.  The artist in me is satisfied with making something beautiful; eating it couldn’t increase my joy.
I'm sure you have heard the expression, "It doesn't matter what it looks like; it will still taste good."  The logic side of me agrees with that statement, but my creative side cringes at it.  I believe that if you can make something look more appealing, then you should. I also think that if something looks good, then people will think that it tastes better than if it was plain. I guess all I am trying to say is that I believe God gave us a great gift when He gave us beauty, and I don't like wasting it. That is why my beautiful pie brings me joy.

On this day before Thanksgiving, I am thankful for beauty.

No comments:

Post a Comment