Friday, September 14, 2012

Day 122

Today I was looking for jobs and I came across these instructions for applying:  "Send a handwritten letter telling us why we should hire you. Include your name, address, phone and email so that we may contact you. Please do not call, come by the office or submit your resume at this time."

Unconventional: yes. Interesting: very.  Since it was a job that fits my criteria, at least from the brief description given, I decided to give it a go.  After typing endless information into little boxes, aptitude tests and employment history questions, it was actually quite enjoyable to do something different. There was one more reason I did it as well:  I love writing.

When I say I love writing, I don't mean writing in the sense of what I am doing now, although I enjoy that as well.  I love writing by hand. I love good pens to the extent that I am a pen snob.  I love shaping letters perfectly and adding my unique flair to them. I actually have at least four different styles of hand-writing, depending on the occasion.  Typing is fast, convenient and in a very literal sense perfect, but hand-writing can be beautiful in a way that typing never can. Hand-writing is an art, but sadly not many people see it like that any more. Writing by hand is usually considered a last resort whenever there isn't an electrical device to input information into.  But not for me.  I still prefer to write by hand whenever I get the chance. It's personal and unique, and it takes more effort, but it's also worth it.

May you find joy in beautiful writing.

No comments:

Post a Comment