Monday, September 10, 2012

Day 120

I don't remember if I've posted this quote or not, but it's one of my favorites, so even if I have here it is again:

"Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys."
If you are feeling really ambitious, here the whole chapter from the Screwtape Letters for your enjoyment:

http://iansuffix.kontek.net/docs/screwtapeChpt8.htm

Relish in the writing, the words, the flow.  Even if Lewis hadn't hit the nail on the head dead on, which he did, reading "The Screwtape Letters" would still be a literary feast. It's beautiful; there is no other way to put it.

To go back a bit, I love that quote because I've been there.  I know what it's like to feel so empty and dry and to wonder what happened to my passion for God.  I've stood in a world that is cruel and dark and unfair, and asked God why He didn't do something I knew He could do. And in those moments, there is a choice to make. The dangerous choice is to follow feelings wherever they may lead, even though feelings are so often based in a lie.  The other choice, the one described by Lewis in the above quote, is to  cling to the truth that God is good and loving even though it might not feel like it.  The faithful make a choice to follow even when the night is dark and their heart is broken. That is a dangerous type of faith.

May you find joy in following faithfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment