Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Day 40

At 6:38 I finished a book. At 6:39 I sat down at the computer, and at 6:40 I started writing this post.

I greatly enjoy reading.  I enjoy a wide variety of genres and authors, from the unexpected twists of John Grisham to the delightful mysteries of Agatha Christie to the intellectual arguments of Malcolm Gladwell, who was the author of the book I just finished reading at 6:38.  The book was "Outliers: The Story of Success" and I highly recommend it to anyone who enjoys light yet fascinating educational literature. Gladwell has an inquisitive mind and a fresh perspective that I find highly enjoyable.  I hope to read some of his other books soon.

Also on my coffee table are two other treasures: "El Dorado" which is a sequel to the "The Scarlet Pimpernel" and "The Screwtape Letters" by C.S. Lewis.  I'm wrestling with my age-old dilemma: Re-read some of my favorites or spend my time reading new books.  I know those books are excellent, but there are so many other books out there that are excellent as well. I don't know if I'll ever find the perfect balance, or even if it exists. At least I get to read while I figure it out.

There are several reasons why I enjoy reading so much.  If I am reading fiction it gives me a break from real life and I get to go on a mini-vacation whenever I flip through the pages.  I enjoy non-fiction because I am interested in learning about things and events and people that I didn't know before and by doing so I broaden my world.  Books have so much to offer, and it saddens me that less and less people seem to enjoy reading and instead prefer the fast-paced world of movies, television, and the internet. Those things have much to offer as well, but not in the same way.  Reading disciplines the mind in a way that a movie never will.

I encourage you to read a book over the Christmas season. I know that I will be and enjoying every minute of it.  If you have a favorite book, please let me know about it.  That's how I heard about "Outliers" and many other books that I read.  I always love suggestions, and many times they become my favorites as well. I believe a good book should be shared, and I am happy to share my favorites with you as well.

Read, share, enjoy. That's the good life.

1 comment:

  1. I love books too =D Some good ones to put on your list.
    - Unplanned by Abbie Johnson
    - Crazy Love, Forgotten God and Erasing Hell? by Francis Chan
    - What's your Secret by Aaron Stern
    - The Circle by Ted Dekker
    (Obviously you may have already read some of these. Just some of my favorites =D)

    ReplyDelete