Monday, December 5, 2011

Day 39

The house was full of people: junior highers and high school students, college kids, young adults, parents, and even a few grandparents.  Conversation was everywhere, and the noise from the kitchen only added to the volume.  The snow had started again and drifted down around this house full of warmth and friendship.  We all waited expectantly for the guest of honor to arrive. It was his birthday party, and it was a surprise. When he did arrive we all shouted out a "Happy Birthday!" to him and then made him go first through the food line.  If it was his choice, he would have waited to be the last one like he does at every group meal.  After dinner we had a time of sharing what this man meant to us, and although I know he would have preferred the background to the spotlight, he didn't make a fuss and thanked people for their comments.

There are many ways to describe this modest man who thrives behind-the-scenes, but the best one is servant-hearted.  He is on the leadership team for three major ministries at our church, and he is highly involved with all three.  He gives of his time and money the way not many people do who are not paid ministers. On top of all his serving, he invests in people's lives and is always looking to deepen his walk with God. This is a godly man, and I have the honor to call him my friend.

If he knew I was writing this about him he probably wouldn't like it because he doesn't like attention called on himself, even though he deserves it.  But I wanted to honor him, although anonymously, because he is a person that we all should look to as an example.  He is not perfect and he is only human, but he an imperfect human who understands where his priorities should lie and invests in things that last. I wish I was more like that.  But I get my hope from knowing that if he can do it, then I can do it, too.  And that brings me joy.

Happy birthday and thank you for being my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment