Friday, September 30, 2011

Day 3

This morning I found in joy in something that I didn't do. For the last eight days, I have left the house before 9:15 a.m., and on five of those days it was before 6:00 a.m. Today, however, I don't have to leave the house until I want to. Happy sigh.

Let me explain to you why this brings me joy. Simply stated: I am not a morning person. Or, perhaps more specifically: I am not a waking up person. The moment the alarm clock goes off in the morning a battle erupts inside of me between logic and flesh. It usually goes something like this:

Logic: It's time to wake up now.

Flesh: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

Logic: Yes it is.

Flesh: I DON'T WANT TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Logic: It doesn't matter if you want to or not, you have to.

Flesh: BUT IT'S TOO EARLY!!!!!!!!!!

Logic: It's the same time you have been waking up for the past three months.

Flesh: BUT IT'S TOO COLD!!!!!!!!!!! I'M SO WARM AND COMFORTABLE IN BED!!!!!

Logic: Your loving husband just turned on the heat and you can wear socks and a sweater.

Flesh (Resistance weakening, but resolved to fight to bitter end) : But whhhhyyy do I have to get up?

Logic: So you can make breakfast and spend some time with your husband before work.

Flesh: But, but, but....I could spend time with him from right here in my nice, cozy, soft, warm bed! We don't have to be in the same room, do we? Being in the same apartment would count, right?

Logic: Just get up already.

Flesh: But I don't want to...

Logic: GET UP!!!!!!!

Flesh: Ok, ok. I'm getting up. You may have won this battle but the war is still going on. We will fight another day!

This battle usually lasts for seven minutes if I have to be somewhere in the morning, and longer if I don't. I wish I was one of those people who could wake up and not feel like it's the worst thing that could happen to them today, but I'm not. But the good news is that once my face becomes unstuck from its pinched waking-up frown, and I stop stumbling around into doorways and furniture, and I start replacing groans with actually words, I've most likely made it through the hardest part of my day. However, knowing that I can take it easy for the first couple of hours and not have to rush out the door makes it easier.

That is why this morning while I was sipping my steaming cup of sweet, creamy chai and reading my Bible at the dining room table I was filled with joy. Ok, well maybe I was filled with joy afterwards, because it was still a little too early for me : ) But it was still a blessing that I enjoyed.

May the God of love give you joy today.

1 comment: